A Fine Jurist

Judge Richard Cebull, the federal judge in Billings who was “strongly recommended” by Max Baucus and Conrad Burns in 2002, was busted yesterday for sending a racist email to his friends.

The email contained a joke about Obama, the implication of which is that Obama’s mother got knocked up with the future president after attending a party at which many black men were present. These attendees were such animals, the punchline goes, that Obama’s mother tells her son “just consider yourself lucky you don’t bark.”

The peachiest part of this story is Cebull’s bungled but hilarious response when questioned by a reporter. Cebull says yes,

“the e-mail is racist, but I didn’t send it as racist….I did not forward it because of the racist nature of it. Although it is racist, I’m not that way, never have been.”

And the creepiest part of the story is the original email from Cebull, which he sent when he sent along the racist joke to his trailer park acquaintances.

“Normally I don’t send or forward a lot of these, but even by my standards, it was a bit touching. I want all of my friends to feel what I felt when I read this. Hope it touches your heart like it did mine.”

“Touching” is not how most people would describe the joke, unless perhaps you are a judge who also moonlights for the KKK on nights and weekends.

And, as is often the case in these situations, Richard Cebull (perhaps he goes by “Dick”) did not apologize for sending the email. Rather, he more narrowly apologized “to anyone that was offended.”

147 Comments on "A Fine Jurist"

1. That was when Baucus was bragging about his leadership in helping with passage of the Bush Tax cuts.

2. Another example of a white man that can’t stand the thought of a black man being POTUS. But he’s not a racist. No doubt,some of his best friends are black.

3. Please don’t hate me for this question, I’m asking it honestly. How is the email racist? I admit, I never laugh at jokes because I don’t find them funny. This joke is no exception, but if anything; it pokes fun at Barack’s mother, who is white. Furthermore, I received this joke as a forward quite some time ago and the following portion:

actually was part of the joke. They weren’t Cebull’s original words.

Anyway, I am absolutely not a racist and I hope by questioning this that it isn’t assumed that I am, I guess I just don’t understand how merely recognizing different races makes this a racist joke. The judge forwarded a tasteless joke that wasn’t funny.

Or am I missing something? If so, please fill me in.

• Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | February 29, 2012 9:25 PM at 9:25 PM |

Seriously, you don’t get it? Well, allow me. Guy pulls up at a rest area south of Missoula off the interstate. He has to use the facilities. He goes inside while his wife and son wait for him outside. The guy comes out and starts walking back to his car. Suddenly, a shot rings out. A guy in another car with a hunting rifle murders the man in cold blood right in front of his wife and child as he was walking back to his car!

Oh, did I mention that the murdered man was black, and that his wife was white? True story. Happened a number of years ago so most folks have probably forgotten. I have not. The guy who did the shooting was from N.Dakota, attracted to Montana probably because of our reputation as a haven for racists.

You see, actions have consequences. Here we have a supposedly impartial highly placed official of the law making racist jokes. Now, how does that help our state’s image or reputation? If YOU were a minority person, would YOU want to appear before such an asshole? Not me.

Our reputation has been damaged in the past enough. We had sen. cornhole burns using the N word and calling Arabs ragheads. We’ve had all kinds of racist groups come up here. And now, a district court judge no less adds himself to the list of racist morons? He doesn’t have the right to be a racist calling card for the state! If he wants to do it, it can do it as a private citizen, NOT as a district court judge! He would be more comfortable in one of our white sumpremnit groups.

He needs to resign, for he has lost all credibility as an impartial arbiter of the law. Take a look at the comments on the GF Spitoon website. He needs gone now.

4. Ok, I understand that part. I immediately wondered how he could ever convict another minority of any crimes without them appealing based on having a racist judge. That isn’t my issue. How is the joke racist? It seems more anti-white than anything else. Perhaps I’m just missing something? When I received the joke at least a year ago, I didn’t forward it. I thought it was in poor taste and not at all funny. But, what part of it is racist? How does it portray one race as superior to another? If anything, Barack’s white mother is one portrayed in a demeaning manner. Perhaps I cannot recognize racism.

I’m not defending Cebull forwarding this email.

• It’s racist because it is suggesting that a white woman who would have sex with a black man must be so drunk that she would also have sex with a dog. Specifically, it is suggesting that a relationship between a white woman and a black man couldn’t come about through the normal reasons – attraction, friendship, compatibility – but only through a lustful, drunken hook up. It’s less about obviously attacking a race as attacking the idea that people from two races getting together is comparable to a person and a dog.

• Yikes. Who thinks that way? Just call me Miss naïve.

• Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | February 29, 2012 10:34 PM at 10:34 PM |

No, just young. You missed the entire civil rights movement of the fifties and sixties apparently. And that is what makes ceebull’s action even MORE offensive and repugnant. Hell, the dude’s gotta be at least as old as I am if not older. And he’s STILL livin’ in the fifties? Sumthin’ real wrong with the dude. He’s totally unfit to hold the position that he holds. I’m thinkin’ that he will be pressured enough to resign.

p.s. Your generation doesn’t get the joke because you guys view race quite differently than my generation. From what I’ve seen, race is no big deal to you. And that’s a good thing. It’s impossible for you to imagine the racial situation from the fifties and sixties. You had to live it.

• Norma Duffy AKA ILIKEWOODS | February 29, 2012 10:59 PM at 10:59 PM |

Yea I gotta agree with Larry, though it wasn’t really bad where I lived in Oakland California, I still grew up right beside the Black Panther Movement… which believe it or not was not a bad thing! Malcolm X actually might of talked a rough game, but he did a lot for the people in Oakland. Opening medical centers and Markets in depressed parts of town.

As a white family my folks were not scared and neither was I. We still picked up my dad from the Kaiser building each day(The heart of all the protests was the Merritt lake Area, where the building was located). Played in the park,and fairy tale book land while we waited for him to get off work, and were very well treated in that town, because we understood the grievances and agreed with them!

To this day I think the Oakland Police Force went out of its way to cause all the shit they could to our black community, that is where the term Local Lint or FUZZ,for the police became the hated name “Pigs.” I wasn’t suprised they went back to their roots during the Occupy Oakland days last fall, and I am afraid they will learn nothing, when the Occupiers come back this spring!

• I have never heard that explanation for the joke, but it fits as well. The end result being the same.

5. It is your age, Nicole. The joke refered to goes like this. The black child asks his mother why he is black and she is white. The mother responds that he should be thankful that he doesn’t bark. The punchline is that while it is a bad thing to be the bastard child of a black man, at least it is better than being the bastard child of a dog.

This kind of comparative joke is common. Yes, it disparages the President’s mother, but that isn’t the racist part. The Racist part is the figurative comparison of a white person, to a black person, to a dog in decending order of acceptability.

I see this joke as far more than racist and the judge will be lucky to not be disbarred over the whole thing.

6. Thank you, Moorcat. I’m not typically so dense. I can’t understand how anyone thinks that joke is funny.

• Well, the upshot is they think it’s funny because it’s a hateful message. Get it? Obama’s daddy was a dog, his mother was a dog ***cker, making Obama sub-human. It’s like this, if someone of low character, let’s say a racist, can find social confirmation of their low character, like the humor and comraderie of like minded racists, then they feel elevated. So racists, like the honorable judge, make racists jokes, to the laughter and affirmation of their peers, then they feel all validated and protected, even honored by their low character. It’s a strange kind of humor but humor is often based on the suffering of others. So since Obama is not in reality suffering from being half-dog, but the silly joke says he is, then the racists can pity, hate, laugh at our president, and validate their own lowliness as ridiculous white supremists. People of good character of course do also pity people with human flaws, like people with downs syndrome or abused children, but instead of hating and laughing at them, they try to help them if possible. The question remains however, how is it constitutional for a racist, like the honorable judge, to continue hearing cases in a federal court? If he is allowed to continue, that’s the real joke, and one worthy of both absurd laughter and contempt. A person of good character would not so much want to help the judge, but rather see that he is relieved of his duties to the public because of racial bias.

7. Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | February 29, 2012 10:26 PM at 10:26 PM |

Recommended by Sen. Cornhole Burns?? WTF? Nuff said. Remeber that Cornhole himself was backed in his first senate run by the racist publisher of that ag magazine out of Billings whose name escapes me at the moment. He used to write the nastiest, most offensive racist rants in his magazine. Could Ceebull simply be part of that good ol’ boy racist culture in Billings? I’m thinkin’ yes.

8. Norma Duffy AKA ILIKEWOODS | February 29, 2012 10:42 PM at 10:42 PM |

Will it should get that guy booted out of his judgeship, but the problem is, who can fill the spot! there is over 85 federal judgeships open right now because a single republican senate member can stop the nomination of that position from being filled by the president. Of those, the federal court’s administrators consider 31 to be “judicial emergencies,” which means other judges on courts with those openings have unmanageable caseloads. This is totally ridiculous!

When Congress created a vitally needed Consumer Financial Protection Bureau as part of the financial reform law, Republicans in the Senate decided to block confirmation of a chief so the agency could not exercise its full regulatory powers. We lost the use of a good woman in Elizabeth Warren, and the President had to give Mr. Cordray a recess appointment, which means he will be able to serve only until the end of 2013, because they blocked his nomination as well!

• Here’s an idea then. Perhaps we need fewer federal laws. If we allowed states to prosecute their own marijuana criminals, for instance, we wouldn’t need so many federal judges.

• I would argue that we have too many laws.. period. Sadly, that is a situation that is unlikely to be rectified in my lifetime.

Larry makes a good point, though. Through use of their virtual minority veto, the Obstructionists in the Senate have managed to create a crisis. Like it or not, there are cases that should be going to trial and aren’t due to full dockets. This can theoretically effect every aspect of our lives.

Let’s look at the Medical Marijuana situation. Let’s say you appeal the medical Marijuan law on the basis of it’s adherance to established constitutional law. Where does the case go if the court dockets are full due to a lack of federal judges?

I find the obstructionist actions of the current batch of Republican congressman to be almost traitorous. They were elected to do a job and instead of doing that job, they have chosen to hold our Congress hostage because they don’t like the black man in the white house.

• Norma Duffy AKA ILIKEWOODS | February 29, 2012 11:25 PM at 11:25 PM |

I couldn’t agree more, but there are federal laws, and then there are state laws! Some state laws are there because federal laws don’t cover certain aspects by constitutional design. and they shouldn’t but transportation, federal lands, interstate trade. and Monetary were purposely set up by the forefathers because some states were greedy! Some states wanted to charge a load of goods whenever they passed into a new state, on their way to their destination, adding tremendous costs to the original goods! Toll roads, every state wanted their own printed money… it all got pretty messy for business to grow outside of state boundaries!

You can read James Madisons take on it here: http://www.constitution.org/fed/federa41.htm

9. Why does it have to be a “black” President we disagree with?

• The simple answer is that his policies are not all that much different than Bush’s – in fact many of his advisors are holdovers from Bush. Given that simple fact, one can only conclude that the problem is that he is the first Black President.

I have been voting for over 30 years and NEVER in my lifetime have seen a sitting president so maligned, obstructed and abused. Some of the things that have been said about him, pictures that have been published about him or claims that have been made against him would have horrified members of both parties 20 years ago.

Are you honestly suggesting that the rancor expressed by the Republican party since the President’s election has nothing to do with this race? If so, I will gladly place you in the same catagory as Drill Baby and Mark and ignore your blatherings from now on.

10. Here’s the kicker. He has to be impeached by Congress to get him out. That’s why the Congressional hearing process is (supposed to be) so thorough. It’s not supposed to be a place to be trading political favors. Once they get in , they’re in for life.

11. Well said MoorCat. I too have been voting for over 30 years and have never seen anything close to this.

Another example:

This guy in Alaska also sued to stop the female Senator from Alsaka, Lisa Murkowski on the grounds that she was female, therefore not qualified. The Old White Men are losing it!!!!!

12. It seems Judge Cebull lives in the “Rehberg Ranch Estates” subdivision. It would be just like a racist to live in a gated community.

13. breitbart bites the big one. @YourAnonNews. BREAKING: Conservative loudmouth Andrew Breitbart dies at 43 from natural causes.

Rot in peace.

14. You can bet that Alan Hale, et. al. do this kind of crap every day.

15. It’s not just the stunningly offensive “joke.” It’s that this idiot forwarded it from his FEDERAL COMPUTER. That is just plain dumb. I don’t think we need anymore dumb judges. Every ruling he made that involved a non-WASP is now subject to review. Sheesh. In fact, I suspect every ruling involving a non-male could be subject to review.

• I agree, Amorette, and any non-white going before Cebull should be able to have the judge dismissed for prejudice. Of course, it’s the judge himself that would make this ruling (although it could be grounds for appeal to a higher court).

Here’s how you get rid of a federal judge:

A federal judge can be impeached by the House of Representatives and removed from office if convicted by the Senate, but only if he or she commits an impeachable offense (a crime, ethics violation, incompetence, etc.). Judges can’t be “fired” or impeached for frivolous reasons, like making unpopular decisions.

I’d call this an ethics violation but, really, Cebull should just resign and save everyone a lot of grief.

16. Racist joke? Sounds more like a beastiality joke…even worse!

17. You should stop huffing gas for a bit. The “joke” means “hey it sucks that your dad is black but it could be worse–at least he isn’t a dog.”

And this guy found that heart warming.

18. Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | March 1, 2012 10:35 AM at 10:35 AM |

BINGO! Mission Accomplished! In one fell swoop, this dipshit of a human piece of feces accomplished a couple’a things. First, he LEGITAMIZED every racist inbred Teatard moron OUT there! They no longer have to be concerned about being the racist assholes that they are, for now, it’s OFFICIAL! Even district court JUDGES are racist assholes, and proudly so! It’s the Murcan way!

And two, Judge Dipshit C. Bullshit sends a loud and clear election message. Time for all good inbred racist assholes to come to the aid of their White Homeland! In Montana!

You see, it’s been a looong dry spell for the racist crowd. Oh sure, birther bob made the national news, but he was more embarrassment than endorsement. And Sen. Cornhole Burns is long retired. But, now NOW!, we’re BACK, baby! We’re racists! We’re inbreds! We’re TEATARDS! And it’s instituTIONALized racism in Montana! It’s even at the district COURT level!

Yippers. Whoever e-mailed that to the GF Spitoon knew eggSACKLY what they were doing! PR!

Let the word go out. We WELCOME your tired, hungy, inbred, illiterate racists to our state’s shore, YEARNING to be free! Free to be as ignorant as Judge Dipshit C. Bullshit!

19. An obvious point, at least to me, is that white racism is especially strong among Republicans. I think it’s safe to say that not all Republicans are racists but that racists can find a warm reception in the Republican Party.

• So…if African American for Obama isn’t racist, then would White Americans for Santorum be racist? Yes…sure, only Republicans are racist. Only white people can be racist. What a double standard. There are racist people out there in every race, religion, and political party. You’re just making ignorant generalizations to further your own political agenda.

• if African American for Obama isn’t racist

It isn’t.

then would White Americans for Santorum be racist?

No, just incredibly stupid.

Yes…sure, only Republicans are racist. Only white people can be racist.

You claim that. No one else did. Which leads to what you actually wrote, LT:

I’mjust making ignorant generalizations to further MY own political agenda.

• The post I responded to specifically said “An obvious point, at least to me, is that white racism is especially strong among Republicans.”

MT Cowgirl would NEVER make a post about any of the racism Obama has partaken in, and I doubt you’ll ever acknowledge it either.

• Norma Duffy AKA ILIKEWOODS | March 2, 2012 1:02 AM at 1:02 AM |

So you have no remembrance of the Beer Summit at the White House in 2009??? Really? Thats when a white police officer arrested a Black professor at his own home for breaking and entering! And even though the professor showed the officer his ID proving he was standing at his address in a nice part of town the Officer arrested the Professor! Cause a black man cant possibly own a house that nice?

Obama said the cop acted stupidly, and you white old men went into a frenzy? You know what I still believe Obama and the professor were right!

• One difference I see, for sure. My progressive friends didn’t like Herman Cain but I never got any racist jokes about him emailed to me.

• Hi, I found this blog by googling the racist judge from Montana. Very, very funny. In reading this comment I couldn’t help but share my favorite Herman Cain joke, courtesy of Letterman:

“Herman Cain was unaware that China is a nuclear power. And I said to myself, ‘Hey, Herman, how about making an unwanted advance on a history book?'”

Cheers, great blog!

20. There is a far more important aspect of this situation (and one that the Judge himself must be considering at this point). In a very real legal sense, every decision this judge has made can now be questioned if it involves a non white individual or issue. The legal implications of this can be staggering. Even if you don’t find the “joke” racist, the Judge has already publically admitted that he recognises it’s racist aspect and by doing so, has admitted to sending what he considers a racist joke to the President of the United States.

I am sure that even as we debate this issue on this blog, lawyers are pouring over this judge’s decisions for possible litigation.

21. Ingemar Johansson | March 1, 2012 11:37 AM at 11:37 AM |

Thank goodness it wasn’t a joke about sheep.

• Yup Ingemar, the three commonest lies in Montana are You bet the Pick Ups paid for… Yah I won this here buckle at the rodeo years ago … and honest officer I was only helping this here sheep over the fence.
      On a more serious note I am encouraging others to contact gubernatorial candidates and ask them these questions.

Hey Corey

We listened in to your town hall for nearly 30 minutes a couple of weeks ago. Didn’t have time to wait to ask you a ? then. But this dust up over Judge Cebull’s fitness to serve prompted me to write you.

Where do you stand on Judicial Ethics? Do you think Montana’s Supreme Court should be elected by Districts?
      Do you think Clarence Thomas’s falsification of his financial disclosure forms for a decade or more compromises the integrity of the SCOTUS? Do you think Thomas’s failure to report his wife’s income from organization’s with an interest in outcome the Citizens United Decision casts any doubt on the legitimacy of this decision? Do you think it would have been more proper for him to have recused himself? Do you see anything unusual or suspicious in the fact his amended financial disclosure forms were filed on s Saturday?
      Do you think Judge Cebull is fit to continue serving as a federal Judge? If you do, are you willing to call on him to release copies of any and all emails in his email accounts pertaining to President Obama and racial matters? If he does not release this information what agency do you think has the authority to subpoena it? If you do not think he is fit to continue serving as a federal judge, what are your plans for calling on him to resign?

22. Just another part of the ongoing legacy of the Bush administration.
    Judge Haddon is another part of that legacy, although he’s more careful about this kind of thing than Cebull.

• Who is the judge that let Barkus off the hook but sentenced a young Indian kid to 17 years for DUI?

• Havre Voter, is’t shameful that you spew erroneous crap like this. Judge John McKeon did not let Barkus off the hook. In fact, he rejected the plea deal and imposed a much stiffer sentence than accepted by the prosecutor. As to the youth, Judge McKeon threw out that plea deal that called for prison time for a 19-year-old American Indian on a criminal endangerment charge. He thought the boy should receive no greater sentence than Barkus.

23. Montana Senate race on NPR’s ATC: http://www.npr.org/2012/03/01/147752408/one-of-closest-senate-races-may-be-in-mont

Cebull just latest earth hater to do a face plant.

• I honestly don’t think the race will be as close as everyone is calling it. I think Tester is likely to be re-elected by a surprising majority. True, a lot will depend on voter turnout (that was one of the deciding factors to Tester’s original win against Burns), but I do not think the voters in Montana are as stupid as either Rheberg or the Montana Republican Party think they are.

24. An apology and judicial review are forthcoming: http://www.flatheadbeacon.com/articles/article/montana_judge_to_apologize_to_obama_for_email/26885/

A Montana congressman says a federal judge who sent a racist email involving President Barack Obama’s mother will apologize to the president and ask an appellate court to review the matter.

Republican Rep. Denny Rehberg’s spokesman says Rehberg spoke Thursday with Judge Richard Cebull. Spokesman Jed Link says Cebull indicated he would send Obama a formal apology and ask for the review from the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Cebull on Wednesday admitted that he forwarded the email to six friends, but said he did so because he disliked Obama, not from racism.

News of the email has prompted calls for Cebull’s resignation.

Cebull did not return calls from The Associated Press

• I think it likely that this is just the first of many such requests. The litagation calls will start shortly.

• What happened here is seriously wrong on multiple levels. Foremost is the insult directed to his mother as if she were some sort of party slut. I find that most offensive of all. But that’s not the first outrageous remark aimed at her:

I ceased to advertise my mother’s race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites.

— From Dreams of My Father page 15.

• Norma Duffy AKA ILIKEWOODS | March 1, 2012 4:39 PM at 4:39 PM |

So you take the line out of context to appease your racist friends? Figures!

Actual Quote dumbshit: Actual quote from “Dreams from My Father” [pg. xv]: When people who don’t know me well, black or white, discover my background (and it is usually a discovery, for I ceased to advertise my mother’s race at the age of twelve or thirteen, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites), I see the split-second adjustments they have to make, the searching of my eyes for some telltale sign. They no longer know who I am. Privately, they guess at my troubled heart, I suppose – the mixed blood, the divided soul, the ghostly image of the tragic mulatto trapped between two worlds. And if I were to explain that no, the tragedy is not mine, or at least not mine alone, it is yours, sons and daughters of Plymouth Rock and Ellis Island, it is yours, children of Africa, it is the tragedy of both my wife’s six-year-old cousin and his white first grade classmates, so that you need not guess at what troubles me, it’s on the nightly news for all to see, and that if we could acknowledge at least that much then the tragic cycle begins to break down…well, I suspect that I sound incurably naive, wedded to lost hopes, like those Communists who peddle their newspapers on the fringes of various college towns. Or worse, I sound like I’m trying to hide from myself.

What a peace of shit you have proven yourself to be Craig!

• more like peas of shit….

• Norma, none of that takes away from the insult to his mother because he had a troubled soul from being “mixed blood.” Are you saying there are mothers who wouldn’t be hurt by their child hiding their heritage? What Judge Cebull did was shameful, and as I said, seriously wrong on multiple levels. As to what you call me, just look in the mirror and shout at the angry person staring back with the same name calling you use here.

• Norma Duffy AKA ILIKEWOODS | March 1, 2012 5:20 PM at 5:20 PM |

Nothing sinks into your head but your own perspective of life? You know nothing of our nations diverse culture.. whats more you are afraid of it and a bigot because of that fear!

It was dangerous in lots of big urban areas to be seen with whites, or even visa-versa especially during the time Barack was growing up!

It just wasn’t done in the south, but in some of the big cities like Chicago, and Detroit … especially the midwest! Your in your sixties? You really did live under a rock man!

That racist crap came up in Emails 3 years ago and they are still circulating among people like you

It was a cheap shot and you got caught dummy, Apoligise and stop Your RW rationality now!

• Norma, you are really quite the twit. First, prove that you know what I know or don’t know. Your claim. Prove it.

I didn’t point to the quote from the book and assert that it was racist. Try reading what I wrote in context instead of making up BS.

• No, you implied that Obama hated his mother or was ashamed of her. Norma’s full quotation proved you wrong, and your only response is to call her a twit. Your view is clearly wrong, Craig.

I ask, for the third time, what in the name of God is wrong with you?

• Rob, you inferred what suited your purpose. I implied nothing. I said he was embarrassed by his mixed heritage. That comes through in many places in the book. I also said that any mother would find that outrageous, hurtful to know that about their child. I stand by that.

• Norma Duffy AKA ILIKEWOODS | March 1, 2012 6:08 PM at 6:08 PM |

Craig stands by not knowing about blacks and is afraid some of the love, family connections, History and knowledge that makes them a great asset to this country… yeah man they might hurt him emotionally! Make him feel bad he ever made bigoted remarks about them!

Caught BB! You got caught again today in a dimwit comment! This is why some conservatives can’t evolve to opening the closet they put themselves in… and joining the rest of the world!

• Craig, Hun: you are really quite the prick; does your ewe know you’re here?

• Norma Duffy AKA ILIKEWOODS | March 1, 2012 5:53 PM at 5:53 PM |

I did Craig! You pulled that off one of your 3 year old racist emails and got caught!

Every man or women is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.

The problem is Craig you exceeded your Limit years ago!

• Craig, I took something completely different from the passage (as quoted by Larry). I took it to point out how a child of mixed birth didn’t feel like society allowed him to fit into either culture. I just can’t see the implied insult you are attempting to demonstrate.

• ~sigh~

Craig, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what Obama wrote. If you think it “outrageous” then you’d best clarify your thinking or more likely the lack of said. Otherwise, this comment of yours is incredibly, spectacularly, almost unbelievably weak. A black kid figures out at an early age that promoting his mother’s race to others could be to his benefit, and he decides not to do it. And you actually find that “outrageous”? What in the name of God is wrong with you?

Also, kindly notice that your weak sauce had nothing to do with my brother’s comment responding to your own. Please explain exactly what Obama’s written words have to do with Cebell’s malfeasance, apology or the lawsuits that will result from those things? Frankly, Craig, you are looking desperate to grab any far fetched weapon that makes your Republicant brood look better than thoroughly disgusting at this point. Hint: You’re failing.

• Rob, I can’t believe you would write that nonsense if you had read the complete book and put the whole in context. He wasn’t worried about ingratiating himself, he was embarrassed by his mixed heritage.

As to clarification, much can be added to Cebell’s admission of the racist content. For example, degradation of women, namely Obama’s mother.

• Norma Duffy AKA ILIKEWOODS | March 1, 2012 5:25 PM at 5:25 PM |

Mind if I Go Joe Wilson on this Fool Rob? LIAR!

• Norma, I don’t mind a bit.

Craig, I have the read the book. Norma’s quotation was a hell of a lot more revealing and to the point than yours was. Obama wasn’t embarrassed at all. He decided at an early age to assist others in coping with their own preconceptions. He decided not to take advantage of those preconceptions. And you actually think that a bad thing?

I reiterate the question: What in the name of God is wrong with you?

And I point out once more, nothing in your weak comments concerning Obama’s book is actually dealing with my brother’s complaints about your weak mewling concerning “outrageous” behavior from anyone but Cebull. Deal with the topic or transparently and foolishly misdirect. Your choice.

• WTF, this makes it sounds as if Rehberg somehow convinced this judge to apologize. The judge should have never sent the thing in the first place and, after making that mistake, should know enough to apologize on his accord. He’s a federal freaking judge for christsakes!

Since Rehberg stuck his big red nose into this mess, my question now is “Will Denny vote to impeach and recommend to the Senate that Judge Cebull be impeached”? Or is saying “sorry” good enough for Rehberg?

• Norma Duffy AKA ILIKEWOODS | March 1, 2012 4:52 PM at 4:52 PM |

So did Rehberg ever become apologetic for that racist Cartoon of Obama he was given by a constituent and waved around to others????? NO he is not on record for apoligising! Kinda means the Same shit too me! so I doubt Rehberg got him to apologize!

• This guy can’t win for losing.
      By issuing a statement through Rehberg’s office he just violated another canon of judicial conduct.

25. This is my first visit to Montana Cowgirl. Great blog!

First – Norma, I think I love you.
    Second – That judge’s behavior is beyond appalling! For god’s sake! (As someone said earlier.)

I am a lifelong South Dakotan, living in Minnesota now. My heart remains in West River SD though. Of course, to me that includes Montana, Wyoming, and western ND. Great, GREAT country. But there are people who Drive Me Crazy! The White Supremacists and other racists/homophobes/haters are the major reason I left. Though I long for the spaces every day, when I hear about someone like this pseudo-judge, I remember why I left.

Those sick, fucked in the head people can make life miserable. And they scare me!

• Norma Duffy AKA ILIKEWOODS | March 1, 2012 5:36 PM at 5:36 PM |

Thanks, Come back anytime, There are a lot more understanding Cowboys and Cowgirls here in Montana… then there are Homophobes and haters!

26. Dee Dixon ‏ @PDeeDixon
    Ninth Circuit Opens Misconduct Review On Judge Who Sent Racist, Anti-Obama Email thkpr.gs/wrb9BK via @thinkprogress #cebull #noCebull

• What surprises me about this is that anyone could reasonably expect this judge to continue seeing cases. As it is, any case this judge has presided over is subject to review. The BEST case scenario is for this judge to resign. It would lessen the furvor over the whole thing. If this stretches out all the way to an impeachment hearing, the potential legal backlash from this could take decades to sort through.

27. Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | March 1, 2012 8:25 PM at 8:25 PM |

Holy Crappoley! This story even made website of the day at counterpunch!

I guess that I’m truly amazed at how this story took off. It’s everywhere and everyone is talking about it. All over the map! And that’s a very good thing.

ANY time such blatant, egregious racism is discovered that high up in the echolons of power, it must be held accountable! I’m kinda thinkin’ that that idiot Judge CeeBULLshit never DREAMED what a giant shit storm he was gonna stir up! I’m sure that he’s more used to getting back slaps from the other good ol’ boy racists down there in Billings for telling Obama jokes.

Well, although it came quite late in life for the judge, it’s a damn good lesson ANYway!

When he resigns, he’ll have much more free time on his hands, so he and sen. cornhole burns and maybe birther bob can sit around and tell racist jokes like in the good old days when they all still had jobs! And them damn blacks knew their place! Maybe they’ll even start singin’! Oh I wished I was in the land of cotton, old times there, are not forgotten, look away, look away, look away, dixieland!…….BWHAHAHAHAA! It’s ain’t EASY bein’ a racist asshole any more!

28. Dear Judge Cebull:

I have to start this letter with this statement. I admire you. In all the world, we know that getting to do what we love in life marks the essence of a life well lived. You had that, sir. You were doing it. You’d taken yourself from your beginnings whatever they were, through school, into law, and finally into a position where what you said really mattered. You sit in a place where what you say affects everyone else. In that seat you become one looking out at all the rest of us and establishing rules by which we all must govern ourselves.

Hyperbole aside, sir, I envy you. I’m sure that in general you are a decent human. I’m certain that you have comported yourself well enough among your peers to have earned the position you currently hold. I’m sure that in general your decision making process is sound. But in law, it seems there are plenty enough people who get to assess all that.

In private, however, we govern ourselves. We make decisions for ourselves where we imagine that we can relax the official, public side of us and just be ourselves. You are deserving of those moments, sir. You certainly are allowed to let your hair down and cut loose with your friends in any fashion you feel is appropriate to you and your group of like-minded friends. We all do. We all say things in our group of friends that if another group of acquaintances heard us say it, they’d shake their heads and wonder about us. But this is not one of those occasions, sir. This is one of those occasions where you arrogantly thrust your private attitude into your public position, and forwarded what boils down to a pretty disgusting joke I think has morphed over time but I am pretty sure I once heard in the 6th grade. I mean, come on.

You were at the top of your career, sir, and you crapped on it for a potty joke. You know? I mean, It just doesn’t make sense to have the office of someone whose wisdom sets precedents when in a situation where it wouldn’t take the intelligence of a 6th grader to know you shouldn’t send that out from your office, and you go and do it. Retell it in your private cocktail party if you must…. I mean, lord knows I don’t mean to say you can’t be who you are if that’s what you’d like to call a funny joke. But this can’t even qualify as a lack of judgement, since you admit you sent it because it was offensive of the President.

I’m sorry you didn’t think before you clicked FWD. I’m sorry for the President’s daughters, mostly. Mostly because that joke was about their grandma, and in their lives, that joke will never be out of their historical searches of her. Whenever they want to go online and search their grandmother, your joke, sir, will pop up, somewhere. Top of the list? Maybe not. But on the list. It’s there forever now. Just like those awful jokes about Senator Santorum. Those jokes are no biggie to the men they’re about. But their children, they ultimately bear the brunt. And aren’t we all adults and aren’t we not supposed to be better than bullies? And aren’t bullies the people who send and tell jokes like that, just to put someone down they don’t like?

Good luck, sir. I don’t think people have to check your record or question your rulings. I don’t think you let your personal life in like that very often. But you did this one time. And it was a doozy. I think everyone’s a little frustrated at politicians in general and they certainly have gone supernova with their love/hate relationship. But all that aside, having a political opinion about someone is not the problem with what you did. And you know that, sir. That’s a tough place to be in. But I don’t feel that it’s okay and it’s only that one time and I’m sure it won’t happen again. I feel a little angry that you fumbled your career on a potty joke.

I think the word racist is used a lot to mean a lot more than what it really means. I believe you were just being snarky. I think the tones of the joke were racist, but you didn’t write it; you were just forwarding it. Someone else put the racism into the joke. Someone else, yes, but not those of us who read that joke the way it is written and see the hatred applied from someone. Jokes aren’t funny about little boys being yelled at by their moms about bestiality. Jokes aren’t funny about googling someone’s last name, either. They’re just mean.

And that’s how you identify your feelings when you sent the email out. You don’t like President Obama and well, now we all know that. But you do have to respect him, sir. We all do (we should, I guess I should say, since so many hate being told what to do, even if it just means being nice). And in your position, as an appointed judge of the President (yes, not this one; loyalty is to the office, not the person in it, right?) you just dissed someone on company email and got caught. And even if you hold your loyalty to the President only along political lines, what do you imagine this joke says about the President who felt you deserved the appointment?

I don’t think folks who do that so publicly get to keep their jobs. I know I read articles about creative ways people have lost their jobs, and what you did sure sounds like it’s gonna get on the top 10 list, but someone else gets to make the reasoned decision about that.

Anyway, good luck.

• Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | March 2, 2012 7:06 AM at 7:06 AM |

Jumpin’ CEEment JAYsus, woman! Either sh*t or get off the pot! Brevity, woman, brevity is the soul of wit! THAT’S why most folks read Readers Digest! One can ONLY be witty for bout as long as a good sh*tty!

But HEY, are there really any good jokes out there bout Rick Saintscrotum?? Where? I LOVE a good Saintscrotm joke!

Bottom line? The joke is racist. Period. And CeeBULLshit is an idiot. And believe it or not, SOME of us do NOT repeat such offensive jokes even to our closest friends! And SOME of us don’t like our friends telling such offensive “jokes”. (was there really humor in that joke? not really. just hatred. nothing creative)

I personally don’t sympathize with CeeBULLshit at all. I mean, after many loooong years of sen. cornhole burns’ racist comments, one grows weary of dumbass Pubbies embarrassing Montana with racist crappola.

29. I believe you missed the pot you were pissing in, Mr Kralj. If you feel those jokes about Mr Santorum are any better than this joke, then you are no better than what you think about Judge Cebull. Because, sir, YOU just posted another one of “those” jokes you said you don’t tell even to your friends, and certainly calling someone a name like that …..

Well, I’ll leave that for you to discern. Have a great day.

• Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | March 2, 2012 7:43 AM at 7:43 AM |

Deb, you missed the point! You see, there is NOTHING racial in my jokes. I admire a man that thinks with his scrotum! Scrotum first! FAMILY, FAITH, FREEDOM AND SCROTUM! Values that I think we can all share. I can’t help it. I was raised catholic, but MOST of us outgrew the sexual horsehit looong ago. But not Ricky! He STILL thinks that sex is a sin, EXCEPT for sex between clergy and kids!

And for that, I have started the process of beatification FOR him! He’s saintly. His scrotum is holy. Santo Sanscrotum Sanctimonium! (sorry for my bad Latin. I flunked outta alter boy training) Sex is for Ricky for procreation only! Hence, Rick Saintscrotum!

Is that really racist? I didn’t realize that being a religeeious wackjob was his race!

• You passed along a joke that is typically told by a mean spirited 6th grade boy, Mr Krajl. It is to that point I reductio ad absurdum’d your point.

I did not call you a racist, nor imply your rude comments about Mr Santorum to be anything other than childish.

• Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | March 2, 2012 9:28 AM at 9:28 AM |

Me rude? Sorry that you see it that way, Debs. But I happen to think it’s RUDE AS HELL to attempt to foist one’s own wacko religeeous beliefs on others. And that is EGGSACKLY what Ric Saintscrotum does. HEY, I have JUST as much right to speak for God as do the wackos! So deal with it! I was indoctrinated in exactly the same horseshit as Saintscrotum, only I learned the TRVTH from it. He didn’t.

And God tol’ me that it AIN’T about one’s scrotum!

• Debs, if your going to actually claim the use of logic, then you’d better study harder. Dismissing a point as juvenile is *not* an argument Reductio ad Absurdum. It is actually relying on a number of fallacies. Larry, on the other hand, uses the Reductio ad Absurdum like a battle axe, to very great effect.

• Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | March 2, 2012 7:57 AM at 7:57 AM |

And Deb, I’m thinkin’ it’s a guy thing. Maybe one must have a scrotum to fully understand and appreciate the saintly sacrifice of Ricky Saintscrotum. I mean, it takes a REAL saint to stand UP for scrotums and DENY one’s manly urges that lead the Hell! Most dudes can’t do it. But not Ricky! No nooky for him exCEPT for making babies! You just wouldn’t understand.

30. I believe Judge Cebull should resign. He should resign today.

The actions of Judge Cebull violate the public trust and call into question his ability to perform his duties in a fair and impartial way. People of color and women appearing before Judge Cebull will have valid concerns about his ability to treat them fairly.

The AP reported that Judge Cebull has called and (of all things) apologized to Congressman Rehberg, and initiated a judicial misconduct review by the Ninth US Circuit Court of Appeals. A review won’t do anything. It just makes it look like he’s taking it seriously. Rehberg accepted his apology eagerly, it appears.

31. SIGN THE PETITION FOR CEBULL TO RESIGN:

32. Not unlike President Obama apologizing to President Karzai of Afghanistan for inadvertently burning copies of the Muslim holy book…except that the judge did it on purpose.

The MTGOP is up to its areolae in stupid.

33. Turtle Talk Law has a great set of links for Cebull’s tribal law record but Cowgirl’s security settings won’t let me attach a link: try here.

Blogger and WordPress having a war?

34. I watched Tosh.o last night on comedy central and there were racist jokes far worse than this email but I havent noticed any uproar about it. Of course Tosh is not a federal judge either.

35. One final comment from me: Judge Cebull has brought shame to the State of Montana. The national headlines I’ve been looking at all read:
    “Montana Judge … ,” or “Judge from Montana … .” and then the word “Racist.” This is more than a blemish on our great state. Add this to the news that Northwest Montana has become a haven for white supremacists and it makes it look like Montanans are bunch of inbred, redneck bigots. This is not a good reputation to have.

• Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | March 2, 2012 11:02 AM at 11:02 AM |

It’s a helluva gamble, Pete, that the Pubbies are taking. They have embraced racism, fascism, and corporatism. Will it work? I dunno, but I certainly wouldn’t count on it. Craig will be here shortly to show just HOW much the Pubs have embraced these. That dude was BORN sorry! He’s got apologist written all OVER him! I couldn’t do that either. When Dems behave badly, we blast’em! Not so with the Pubs.

36. Cebull has violated at least two provisions:

37. Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | March 4, 2012 7:54 AM at 7:54 AM |

Holy Cow! Judge CeeBULLshit’s defenders are comin’ out from under their rocks everywhere!, claiming that the judge ain’t no racist, just “salty”! BIG difference! You see, a real racist is simply a racist asshole, but a SALTY racist is kinda a compassionate racist! It’s kinda like compassionate conservative. A salty racist ain’t for lynchin’em, just showin’ them the ROPE now and then to remind’em of their place! That’s compassionate, right?

To call into question the legitimacy of our duly elected president by a ranking member of our judiciary by means of racist, character assassination simply because he’s black is compassionate, right? And HEY, when you think about it, that’s WAY more compassionate than say actually calling for his assassination, right?

So, now the judge’s defenders have left their place under their rocks to scurry to his defense, KNOWING that some day they may have to appear before him again!

There is a way out of all this. I would suggest that the judge RETAIN his job as a judge…….IN VIDOR, TEXASS! Down there they actually LIKE their jurisprudence salty! Good place for the dude anyway! LOT’S of salty good ol’ boys who sometimes use the bumpers of their trucks and a good stout chain to remind blah folks of their place!

38. Funny how the joke immediately becomes a hysterical riot if the last few words are changed to “sound just like George Bush”.

Oh, wait…. hmmmmm….

39. ‘independents’ fleeing GOP: TPM.

• Larry,

People have been “fleeing” both parties for the last two years in record numbers. Yes, the majority has been from the GOP but the Dem’s approval ratings are not much better. The problem for most people (and according to the polls being published) is the seeming unwillingness to do the damn job. The partisan politics is so rancorous as to drive people away from political discourse.

I will grant you that – in general – the Dems have done a better job of “attempting to reach across the aisle”, but their inability to actually achieve solutions has not helped their cause. If the Dems do get a win in November (a situation that might well occur), they will have to deliver real solutions to the real problems rather than make soundbytes for the press or 2014 could look like 2010 all over again.

• Judge Cebull has given us the opportunity we need to convince voters that the earth haters are corrupt.

We have the power to break the GOP in Montana and after the election we can sit down to build an even broader coalition of progressives, labor, and tribes.

This interested party has a president, a senator, a secretary of state, and a superintendent of public instruction to help reelect; a governor, a house member, an attorney general, and an entire legislature needs to be made blue: anyone who is in my way is an enemy.

You want to change shit, Mr. Kailey? Help me make Montana safer instead of cheaper.

• First, it is just exactly that type of partisan crap that is driving people to the middle. I am not your enemy (unless you want to make me one… ) regardless of who I vote for. I have that right.

Not sure what your last line was refering to. Safer VS cheaper?

• The middle converts the day before the primary and the day before the general, Mr. Kailey; they are not my concern today.

• If you think that the “middle converts” you are assuming too much. They may vote your way come election day, but most of them are hardly “converts”. They should be your concern since most elections are decided by them. More over, if you continue to drive them away like the right is doing with talk of “enemies” and “takeovers”, you may never get them to vote for your issues. That is the mistake being made by the right at this point. It isn’t smart to get so wrapped up in your private war that you kill the very people you need to succeed.

• Bro, I really wanted to let that go, but I can’t. Those you are defending here are the mushy middle, those folks who would rather vote against those who’ve offended their sensibilities than to vote FOR any issue. Yes, most elections might be decided by those folks. Have you considered that might be the heart of our current problems?

• I am not convinced of that. Being one of the so called “muchy middle”, there are plenty of things I will be voting “for”. For example, I have been a staunch and continued supporter of Tester. While it would be easy to say that I am voting against Rehberg (and I would regardless of who the Democratic Candidate is), I have also made it abundantly clear that I like Tester and his record of supporting the majority of voters in Montana.

I would also argue that you are blaming the symptom of the problem (the move to teh middle by a great many folks disallusioned with both parties) rather than cause. The Cause (as I see it) is that the Republicans moved the goals WAY to the right and the Democrats, not really sure what the hell to do, floundered in mediocre dithering. Worse, the civil war in the Republican party has caused a lesser civil war in the Democratic party – one which has directly effected you (can we say “emo-progs”). You end up with people like Larry calling anyone not believing his his particular brand of Democrat “enemies”, you end with emo-prog ultra left BS and you end up with even more disallusioned people.

I am not saying the general move to the middle is a great idea. In fact, I think it isn’t. I think that the solution to many of the problems facing this country right now will involve give and take from both arenas. I kind of see the middle in terms of the “Karate Kid” – walk on left side, safe, walk on right side, safe, walk in middle squished like grape. Not sure what the solution will be though.

I would like to point out, though, that much of the “mushiness” could easily have been to the Democrat’s favor if they had really capitalized on the dis-satisfaction of the disenfranchised instead of fronting their own brand of enabling dithering. They needed to stand up and called “bullshit” instead of engaging the crazy that was coming from the right. Schweitzer – in all his showboating goodness – recognised what needed to be done and did it. Sadly our national Democratic Representatives failed to do the same. In that respect, President Obama actually did a far better job.

• ~sigh~ Moorcat, I never said you were in the mushy middle. You aren’t if you vote issues instead of personal ego. What I wrote was very clear, as clear as what you were defending. The mushy middle would rather vote for those who serve their egos rather than those who can help them achieve their goals. Those are the people *you* defended by chiding Larry Kurtz for not pandering to them as opposed to wooing them. Larry has a right to be pissed, and you’re flat out wrong for telling him that it is his responsibility for “driving them away”. He shouldn’t control their votes, any more than he does yours. Just because you claim he does doesn’t make it real. You know that fact, but claim such anyway. I wonder why? Yes, the mushy middle might very wrongfully be the deciding factor in elections. You defend them, and then wonder why your defense matters? Seriously?

By the way, the word you were looking for was “affected” and yes the emo-progs are a problem. That would be the same problem you endorse. I don’t worry about them, truly. Lizard is currently poncing all over the Montana ‘Tubes decrying his so-called racist post, and everything the git writes is filtered through that veil. People get their comeuppance; I have been convinced of that all along. That would be ego over-riding interest, and you think I argued in favor of such? Yet somehow, you think that my comment dealt with a move to the middle? It didn’t. It shouldn’t have, and you shouldn’t see it as such. The extremes carry a loud message that shouldn’t apply to rational people. The mushy middle needs to be buried in their own feces of voting against their interests. The radicals need to be ignored, not offended by. Whether Mr. Kurtz offended or not is pointless, if one actually cares about solving problems. If you think he’s wrong, then I invite you to answer this question:

What issues and/or problems can be solved by replacing Democrats with Republicans?

• good eye award: now help.

40. Not with either ‘party’ here …. both seem lunatic to me.

It was just an idea that hit.
    Probably too rad for this crowd….

• Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | March 4, 2012 5:01 PM at 5:01 PM |

Skippy, next time use your big boy brain to post, dude. You make no sense. And Skippy, next time you see an idea trying to hit, DUCK, DUDE! I’m thinkin’ that too many more shots to the head won’t HELP your debating skills!

41. There may be differences between democrats and republicans, but their level of animosity certainly is one of them.

Have fun with your ‘liberal’ outlook~

• Thank you for reminding Democrats that it’s okay to stand up to the Limboids, ‘Skip.’

• Norma Duffy AKA ILIKEWOODS | March 4, 2012 8:43 PM at 8:43 PM |

I second that!

• Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | March 4, 2012 9:30 PM at 9:30 PM |

Ya know, the ONLY point that skippy has is that one on his nice white robe! His implication is that if we substitute Bush for Obama, we libs would be laughing like hell!

Well, that MAY be true IF Bush were biracial with a black mother and a white foreign father, and IF the district court judge were black, and IF whites had been brought here into slavery and suffered oppression for hundreds of years, and on and on. You get the picture. Skippy thinks it’s an equivalent hypothetical scenario! In other words, he’s a total dumbass!

But what skippy dippy FAILS to understand is that the “joke” was as misogyninist as it was racial! Hence, he goes on to imply that we libs would have overLOOKED such hatred by a black judge because his “humor” was directed at Bush! I guess because we libs are, in his teensy tiny little mind, extremely misogynistic and hate white people! Great theory, right?

He’s one very confused dude!

42. House Judiciary Dems to probe Montana judge: Adams.

43. Objectification of women in Montana jails more indication of red state collapse.