Early Voting Surge Indicative of High Turnout in 2014 Elections

With an open congressional seat, so many close races, and the makeup of the Montana legislature and the Supreme Court at stake, Montanans are volunteering in droves and eagerly awaiting the results of the 2014 election.  But one thing is already clear: turnout will be high.

The Missoulian reported this week that as of two days ago, 60 percent of absentee ballots had already been returned.

“In all, 145,677 Montana voters have returned the absentee ballots out of the 241,713 people who requested them.”

That’s worth noting because it means that turnout is already high in Montana–and the election is still four days away.

The New York Times reported this morning that early voting numbers look good across the U.S., which is:

good news for Democrats. The early-voting surge gives them a chance to pull off upsets in crucial states, particularly if they continue coaxing new voters to the polls in the final week of the campaign.

According to the Montana Secretary of State, Montana consistently has one of the highest voter turnout rates in the U.S.

As the Missoulian reported, “671,224 Montanans have registered to vote so far this year, and those who haven’t can register up until 8 p.m. on Election Day.”

UPDATE : MTPR has more on the turnout surge here.

39 Comments on "Early Voting Surge Indicative of High Turnout in 2014 Elections"

1. I’d hope responsible absentee voters who hadn’t decided yet finally did after Daines and Zinke were ‘exposed’ even after their ‘sleazy’ avoid debate tactics BEFORE absentee ballots went out.

2. Tester, Curtis, and Lewis rocked the GET OUT THE VOTE rallies around the state.

3. JOHN TESTER WHO IS AT 40% JOB APPROVAL, THINKS HE’S “GIVING DEMOCRATS A LIFT”. KEEP IT UP. THIS WILL BE A ROUT!!!

• Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | November 1, 2014 4:34 PM at 4:34 PM |

Well, weed, when there are no more public lands (all sold off to the wilks and kockhs), no health care of any kind, no medicaire and social security, no EPA, no dept. of ed., a bizarre theorcracy, and MORE wars of aggression by you crazy ass Pubes to steal even MORE of our weath, guess we’ll see how popular you pubbies are then! It’s comin’. And it ain’t a pretty picture! You dufus morons better damn well HOPE you get raptured before it’s payback time!

• My-O-My. How childish we all are becoming.

• Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | November 1, 2014 9:46 PM at 9:46 PM |

Really? How so, jonny? You have brought nuthin’ to the debate, dude. So, how am I to respond? Should I simply think that you are retarded and treat you accordingly? Or do you actually have an argument? My oh my you do well for a special ED type ReePube dude! I think I’ll give you a medal! jonny, give us something to debate! How ’bout what is bullshit worth? For that is all you posted so far.

• What’s your source for the 40% approval rating? BTW, a more appropriate pseudonym would be REPUBLICAN COKEHEAD.

4. Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | November 1, 2014 8:43 PM at 8:43 PM |

Luv it. Amanda has the Pee Wee Daines crowd peeing down BOTH legs!

5. Old Line Democrat | November 2, 2014 8:39 AM at 8:39 AM |

Well, if Jon Tester has an approval rate of 40% he is obviously doing great as compared to Congress as a whole which has an approval rate of 19%.

Although all of these ratings are questionable due to their sources and manipulation by pollsters (like our buddies at Stanford and Dartmouth) that 40% is pretty darn good in this poisened environment.

Yet, the greatest threat to our democracy is sitting in the Wheat/VanDyke contest. If Montana voters buy VanDyke like a pig in a poke he is, we can kiss our reality check mechanism good bye. The present Montana Supreme Court has been the only check on the craziness of the right wing monied interests. Their attacks on our Court are part of a clear plan to take over the majority just as they have done on the US Supreme Court. Mr. VanDyke is Montana’s version of Clarence Thomas. this race cannot be ignored. They view us as easy, cheap pickings and many Montanans are going to give them the opportunity by voting against their own interests in favor of advderising agency smoke and mirrors.

6. Larry, hate to tell you but the subject of this piece is voter turnout NOT the debate. Again, why are you compelled to personally berate those who disagree with you? As if your homophobia and Christian bashing isn’t bad enough you’ve now taken it upon yourself to demean people you disagree with as “retards” and “retarded.” Your incessant invective is reprehensible, obscene, and perpetuates discriminatination against groups of people who are already marginalized (eg, gays and folks with learning disabilities, etc. Your crass characterizations of those you disagree with are antithetical to progressives, like myself, who believe that there is no place for demeaning others and perpetuating negative stereotypes against people who face uphill battles everyday just to find a seat at the table in American society. Rhetoric like yours has no place in civilized society. Ironically, I share most of your political views but cannot countenance your offensive delivery and will not standby while you brandish language that is harmful and discriminatory. Frankly, rational people do not find it necessary to continually spew invective and obscenities.

Proud liberal and fourth generation Montanan.

• Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | November 2, 2014 11:05 AM at 11:05 AM |

Sorry, dude, but I have never bashed a Christian! Now, the christofascists NEED bashing! If you don’t understand the difference, I can’t help you. You simply need to get out more. And READ ferchrissakes! Hell, I’ve posted many links on the christofascists, and I have suggested a HUGE amount of reading material, yet you still think I’m anti-Christian. That’s just kinda sad. When you have a senate candidate who believes in creationism, they NEED to be called out! For the entire world is laffing at us! Do we REALLY want to send an inbred idiot like Pee Wee daines to the greatest deliberative body in the world? I don’t. I don’t WANT a lil’ christofascsit moron who THINKS he’s from the hills of Kentucky as a Montana senator! I want one of us! Like this fine lady:

Sorry, dude, but the 1925 Scopes Monkey Trial is loooong gone! We don’t need to go there again!

7. Thank you to MT Native for saying what was needed to be said so desperately today. And to Larry, I know I have mentioned this to you in the past, but I would strongly encourage you to start you own blog, here I’ll help you get started: http://startbloggingonline.com/. Think of it, you can post all you want and use the language you like and if people want to read the derogatory posts they can. I get really burned out from the offensive tone you use on this site and the off topic posts.

• Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | November 2, 2014 11:39 AM at 11:39 AM |

Offensive tone? Well then, you’re just gonna LUV it when the Pubes take control! There will BE no offensive tone allowed! Geez. Wake UP, people! It’s pretty close to bein’ game over in this country, and you’re worried about me?? Too funny. Grow a spine and fight back! These are NOT nice people on the other side. They ARE fascists and traitors! Try being civil with them and see how far you get! You ain’t seen nuthin’ yet! But hey, let’s make a deal. I won’t read your posts and you don’t read mine! Works for me!

8. Larry, you’re all hat and no cattle!!! Trust me you don’t beat Republicans on Capitol Hill or in Helena with a potty mouth, discriminatory language and nonsensical hyperbole. It’s all about articulate arguments, numbers and effective research, drafting and sound testimony NOT unintelligible ranting.

• Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | November 2, 2014 8:38 PM at 8:38 PM |

Really? You’ve been so successful with your technique. Where was that again??? I forget. Actually, the Rangers have had pretty GOOD success in Helena and elsewhere. Just sayin’. We didn’t wait for the wussies to catch up.

• Sure. That’s why you’re going to be angry and bitter when Curtis loses the Senate race (and if she doesn’t, you can suspect fraud, which is what’s probably going on for EITHER side when the results vary from competent modern polling, it still goes on today.) You’ll swear about the Kochs this and the Republicans that and probably chuck your beer bottle into something and not clean it up for three days.

ANYTHING but admit the Dems were too stupid not to run a far left liberal in a purple/red state, and lose voters like me who wanted to vote Dem instead, but they refuse to be a party of the center. You can’t tell me they won’t deserve to lose. That’s why the Senate majority will go down in DC too.

Clinton for exhibit A, Dukakis for exhibit B. Even cowgirl could figure that one out. The prosecution rests.

• View, You wrote, “ANYTHING but admit the Dems were too stupid not to run a far left liberal in a purple/red state, and lose voters like me who wanted to vote Dem instead, but they refuse to be a party of the center. ”

Please clarify for me how you did vote?

Did you vote for a far right candidate because you didn’t have a middle of the road choice or did you not vote.

Just curious, thank you.

• I hesitate to tell you, because far-left wingnuts, imagine who, will jump on it, lacking any of the rational substance they say others lack, but I will tell you since I implied it on another post, and I believe your question is sincere, so this is speaking to you.

I pretty much never envisioned the day when I would vote for a creationist Republican. However, I met Daines, and being a Libertarian-leaning centrist now instead of a Dem, he clearly got many things Amanda Curtis did not get. For me the two biggest issues were,

(1) You can not eternally print and spend money you do not have. Tricky Dick Nixon thought he could pull it off to fund Vietnam, and it failed. In our day, we are on the edge of, or already into a debt spiral. That is where the interest on your debt exceeds what you can pay – or in our case, your TOTAL REVENUES. Dems are WAAAAY to stupid to get this. That is what it would take to make me hold my nose and vote GOP. It may be too late anyway, but if they get the math when Dems don’t, it’s worth a desperate try.

(2) The war on the 2nd amendment. I used to be a Sarah Brady supporting member of Handgun Control Inc. Eventually I realized what complete liars they and all gun grabbers are. The Dems have completely whored themselves to this one. Gun rights SHOULD be a LIBERAL cause since they are the last defense against the corporatocracy. Idiots who will hand over the second amendment and squeal, “Help, help, terrorist boogeymen, I’m so scaaaaaared, government please turn into a totalitarian police state and save me” will just as gladly hand over the first, third, fourth, all the way through tenth. In short, they are unfit to stand for the Republic.

To a large extent – as I have also said here before – the whole two-party system is a sham. It lets the REAL players behind the scene manipulate their way with 80-90% of the program simply via divide and conquer. And far lefties and far righties fall for the whole scam. I want an environmentally-sane (this would be TRUE conservatism), pro-gun, gay-friendly, rights-friendly, candidate. That usually means Libertarian, and that needs more momentum.

So I suppose in some sense I did the same in inverse in voting Daines. I voted for Obama the second time as a “practical” consideration too. But the Libertarians are not wrong I think in saying the least of the evils is still evil.

If Curtis is so completely stupid enough, like she said on her blog, to think you don’t really have to rein in off-the-charts nutcase wild spending though (check), and wants to take away people’s constitutionally guaranteed rights in the name of her greater good du jour (check), and is so delusional that she thinks she is entitled to simple dictate such things to us poor unenlightened ignorant boobs for believing in things like math and the Constitution, then BIG HELL NO.

So she – and her liberal Dem friends – could have had us in the center. They got greedy, high on themselves, said screw dialog with other views, screw fiscal sanity, constitutional sanity, and political sanity – and got the @$$-whipping they so richly begged for and deserved.

The reason Larry calls me Ivy is because he thinks a Jesuit schooling somewhere make himself an intellectual and anyone who dares to disagree with him an inbred sheep-porking trailer trash. I mentioned an Ivy degree in rebuttal to his bull authority-based fallacy. But I’m not sure the Dems broadly – and Curtis specifically, based on watching both her and her fans where I live – are capable of thinking any differently.

• Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | November 4, 2014 10:01 PM at 10:01 PM |

Brevity, cupcake. Brevity. Next time go easy on the roughage before posting. You’re just shittin’ nonsense now!

• (1) Stated I wasn’t talking to you; (2) didn’t expect you to understand it; (3) detailed for him who asked for detail; and (4) better to let it out than constipate it up, like maybe you, to where it just spews out the mouth instead.

Enjoy that radical Amanda party. You know you only brought it on yourself.

9. “Prosecution rests, Democratic Party avoids (new) center.
    ?Deserves to LOOSE”

Those are ill-informed, Judgemental views from dark shadows!

Your view is not from the peak!

Do the Republicans Deserve to WIN?

• Actually it is. Did you miss my point? If the Dems are stupid enough – as I think it is hard to argue with here – then yes by default. The lesser of the evils, however marginally, is never a first choice.

(Fyi, it’s lose, not loose, and judgmental, not judgemental.)

Sorry for double post, idiosyncracy of when the website hangs up.

Good luck licking your wounds and thinking back on the lessons everyone else told you were coming. But I feel like I’m advising an alcoholic friend who has STILL not yet learned his/her lessons, STILL not yet crashed hard enough, and would prefer to mumble about his ex and relapse the next election too instead :-/

10. Man, I see the tools of the GOP and KOch brothers HAving a field day here, only because they wont get the senate and know it Whaaaaaaa Whaaaaaaaa. Keep it up Larry I have been kinda busy here…. so I haven’t been able to Post much!

• Are you referring to US Senate, state senate or Curtis -Daines race? New polls? Everything I’m seeing from NY Times, WA Post, NBC, etc. looks bad for progressives. Here’s hoping Harry Reid remains the majority leader!

• Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | November 3, 2014 6:24 PM at 6:24 PM |

Schweitzer v. Cornhole Burns was said to not have a chance. Written off. Over! And then, then, THEN, as we watched the results up there in Black Eagle, gettin’ drunker as they came in, Schweitzer LED most of the damn night! But somehow lost when the inbred votes in Eastern Montana came in. But he LOST by only four thousand votes! THAT’S Montana for you! And I personally believe that the polls are WRONG! this time. Amanda very well could win this thing, for the Kock boys don’t understand Montana. We like nuthin’ better than kickin’ Kock when those bassturds think they OWN us! This ain’t over until the fat lady sings! Wait! What’s that I hear? A fat lady singin’????? Senator Amanda Montana. Has a certain ring to it, don’t it???

• Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | November 3, 2014 8:47 PM at 8:47 PM |

Win or lose, Amanda Curtis is my hero! She did it! She’s amazing. But long before she was born, I used to search through a big bin of records at the Safeway down there on 27th street north in Billings. You could buy them for about thirty-nine cents apiece, ’cause no one wanted them. I bought this one, and it is still one of my favorites. That was a time before country was cool. And I still miss that. What the hell? After country became popular, the thirty-nine cent albums were a thing of the past!

For Amanda, a true Montana woman!…..and my hero.

• Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | November 3, 2014 9:28 PM at 9:28 PM |

Young dudes, tomorrow when I sober up, I’ll weigh in on mailergate. But tonight, listen to some of the greatest music you never heard of! I’ll be back. I had these Stanford dinks pegged from the GIT go! Now, let’s have some FUN with their sorry asses! You go, cowgirl!

• Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | November 4, 2014 7:24 AM at 7:24 AM |

Even if the crazy train leaves the station, it AIN’T the end of the world. It’s only the beginning of the end for the fascist Repukes! We will be like the WIND here in GF. The only time we stop is to back up and get another RUN at it! We’re comin’ for ya, Pubbies! Crazy and hate is NOT governance!…….even if Jaysus tol’ you it was! You best get DOWN on your knees and purrrrRAZE God for making people gay! For without gays to bash, you would have nuthin’! And I’m SURE that gays are such an important issue that they’re in the Constitution SOME wheres, right?????

• Or you could wise up and package in a little fiscal sanity, which would make you independent or Libertarian. At least Libertarians don’t smoke their own crack to the point of FROTHING – in equally defiant certitude only a week or two ago – that Curtis was going to pull a Burns comeback or whatever it was and surprise all us naysayers. Like I said, what could possibly go wrong for the Dems’ appointing a budget-busting far-left gun grabber? What could possibly go wrong? Do they really prefer being bitter to successful and happy?

See, the alternative would be fiscal sanity, respect for the environment, respect for gays, respect for civil liberties, TRUE non-BS respect for the second amendment, respect for other nations in the world. But that would make you a Libertarian instead of a Dem or a Republican.

You could learn actual lessons of experience instead of forgetting them.

Or not. Up to you. Enjoy your “victory” parties tonight :-/

11. The silence is eerie. I hope I don’t read about mass Dem suicides tonite.

• Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers | November 4, 2014 10:09 PM at 10:09 PM |

Not hardly, Eric. It’s gonna be a WILD ride! JAYSUS take the wheel! Fascism has come to America just as they said it would. “When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross”!
      I don’t think anyone knows how this is now gonna play out, but I doubt it will be good!

Hey, paddy quitter wms., still remember what I tried to tell ya about twenty years ago here in GF? Can we PLEASE call them Nazis yet? Mussolini is dancin’ in his grave! But it does show how stupid the country has become, and that was my biggest fear. Lard assed, corn fed, inbred Walmart shoppers votin’ FOR Jaysus and AGAINST their own best interests! Once the safety net is pulled out from under these inbred porkers, they’re gonna find out just what they’ve done!