I’ve been trying to follow this story coming out of Helena over the past few days. But it has been difficult to track.
I remember the hubbub following the special election in May when Secretary of State Corey “Lil Corey” Stapleton claimed there was over 300 cases of voter fraud in Montana.
Following President Trump’s unfounded, unverified claims of massive voter fraud in the November election it only seemed right for Lil Corey to try and follow in Big Don’s footsteps.
But the recent news out of Helena seems to indicate Lil Corey might be in over his head. This is such an absurd situation it is genuinely difficult to make any sense of it.
From what I can gather:
- Stapleton, in August, claimed there were over 360 cases of “illegal” votes cast.
- County Clerks and Recorders asked Stapleton to provide proof.
- Stapleton pretended not to understand request for proof.
- Stapleton ignored Montana’s media requests.
- The Montana Legislature asked for proof.
- Stapleton hid behind his chief of staff and refused to come before a legislative committee.
- Stapleton’s chief gave different claims of “fraud” than the previously cited 360.
- Stapleton sent a letter claiming the media misreported his original claim of voter fraud.
- In that letter, Stapleton claimed he sought corrections for the reporting, something the AP and Lee Newspapers deny.
- Then this week, Stapleton sends out an e-mail citing 363 cases of bad ballots.
Which is it? Is the #FAKENEWS lying? Or is there over 360 cases of illegal ballots?
My MT Hat’s off to the reporters who have to deal with this kind of lying and deception. Lee Newspaper’s Holly Michels has done a great job tracking this story.
The Billings Gazette Editorial section took Stapleton to task, but I think they are far too kind.
What we really need to see is: “Mr. Stapleton is a Liar.”
Our media just isn’t prepared or equipped to deal with such blatant deceit–but sadly–it seems to becoming the new norm from the modern GOP.
I am patiently awaiting clarification or maybe some proof from Mr. Stapleton. But for now, I’ve got to call a spade a spade. And the evidence suggests that Lil Corey, is lyin’ Corey.